When a surgical procedure is the right answer
Many people spend their entire lives battling extra pounds. They have probably tried all sorts of things to lose weight. Diets, exercise, low-calorie days, you name it – it does helps, but the weight usually does not stay off for long. Sometimes, a surgical procedure is the only way to break this vicious circle. It is important to choose the type of weight loss surgery that is most suitable for you. After all, it is a decision that will impact the rest of your life.
Weight gain remains a problem
The surgical procedures we will discuss here involve a (mini) gastric bypass and a sleeve gastrectomy. What they have in common is that they limit your food intake and alter your digestion. Because you are no longer able to eat as much, you will need to ask yourself a few questions throughout the day: Am I getting enough nutrients? How should I spread my meals across the day? Will my food intake gradually creep up without me noticing? The key to success is managing your eating and exercise habits – particularly in the long term.
- During the first year after the surgical procedure, 80% of weight loss is due to the surgery itself, and 20% results from changed eating habits and lifestyle.
- After about one year, only 20% of weight loss is due to the surgical procedure, and
- 80% results from the changes you have made to your lifestyle.
It is clear that the surgical procedure alone is not enough. Changing your behaviour, and above all maintaining those changes, is essential to keeping your new, lower weight.
The MiniMIZER Ring helps you prevent your old weight creeping back up. The ring enables you to maintain your new eating habits better and for longer.
What is a MiniMizer Ring?
The MiniMIZER Ring is a thin ring of medical silicone that is positioned around the stomach during bariatric surgery. For this reason, we call surgical procedures that include the placement of a MiniMIZER Ring ‘banded’ (mini) gastric bypass or ‘banded’ gastric sleeve procedures.
After bariatric surgery, the MiniMIZER Ring has the following effects:
• 20% – 50% more weight loss 3 and 5 years after the procedure
• Considerably less long-term weight gain
• The MiniMizer Ring also ensures that further weight gain is prevented, and weight
loss becomes possible again when used in revision surgeries.